Wednesday, July 23
7:00 - 9:00 Reception (location: Zubrow Commons)
Thursday, July 24
7:30 - 8:45 Community breakfast and introductions (Location: Zubrow Commons)
Who are you? What is your institution like? How much parallelism is in your curriculum? What are the key things you want your students to be able to do?
9:00 - 11:45 Morning session (Location: Hilles 110)
9:00 - 9:20 Introduction to CSinParallel
Dick Brown's presentation (Acrobat (PDF) 1.8MB Jul18 14)
9:20 - 9:50 A survey of parallel and distributed computing (PDC) concepts
Joel Adams' presentation (Acrobat (PDF) 25.7MB Jun14 16)
9:50 - 10:30 A closer look: modules and resources
10:30 -10:45 Break
10:45 - 11:45 Work time: You explore the modules and ask questions as you prepare a 5-minute "lightning" presentation for the afternoon. Focus on the following:
- What is your institution like?
- How do you envision using modules to teach PDC, and where might they fit in your curriculum?
- Which particular modules are you interested in adopting?
- Are there other PDC topics you would like to see in modules?
- Do you have material you would like share with CSinParallel?
11:45 - 12:45 Lunch (location: Zubrow Commons)
1:00 - 5:00 Afternoon Session (Location: Hilles 110)
1:00 - 2:20 Presentations by participants
2:20 - 2:40 Break
2:40 - 3:05
- Choices of afternoon breakout sessions - topic ideas document
- Virtual visit from Sushil Prasad, Georgia State University and Coordinator of the NSF/TCPP Curriculum Initiative on PDC
3:10 - 4:00 Breakout sessions I (including hands-on)
4:10 - 5:00 Breakout sessions II
6:00 Dinner at Yang Ming (1051 Conestoga Rd, Bryn Mawr, PA, 610-527-3200)
Later in the evening: Optional "wind-down" at a local establishment
Friday, July 25
7:30 - 8:45 Breakfast (location: Zubrow Commons)
Guest Wireless link: http://iits.haverford.edu/documents/haverford-guest/
9:00 - 11:30 Morning session (Location: Hilles 110)
9:00 - 10:10
- Introduction to TCPP curriculum (PDC only) and ACM/IEEE CS2013 Curriculum (CS majors)
- TCPP Curriculum Initiative website, 2012 Version 1 report (PDF)
- CS2013 website, complete report (PDF), knowledge areas (Acrobat (PDF) 134kB Jul25 14)
comprehensive spreadsheet (XLSX)
- Mapping modules/courses to curriculum via spreadsheets
- NSF/TCPP PDC curricular recommendations - 1-page summary spreadsheet
PDF (Acrobat (PDF) 91kB Jul25 14) XLSX (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 36kB Jul25 14) Google doc (make a copy)
- PDC in CS2013 - 1-page summary spreadsheet
PDF (Acrobat (PDF) 87kB Nov16 13) XLSX (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 87kB Nov16 13) Google doc (make a copy)
- Examples of mapping, PDC in 2013 (Acrobat (PDF) 465kB Jul25 14)
- Exercise (30 min):
- Form teams organized around comparable courses with observers.
- Map one or more of your courses to one of the 1-page spreadsheets, consulting with your team as you go
10:10 - 10:30 Break
- 10:30 - 11:30
- Breakout 'birds of a feather' and activity sessions (topics based on participant interests)
topic ideas document
- Incentives for adopters or module writers
11:30 - 12:15 Lunch discussion (Location: KINSC L309 - upstairs from Hilles 110)
Where do we go from here? Discussion notes google doc
12:15 - 1:00 Workshop assessment focus group (Location: KINSC L205)
1:30 - 5:00 Optional tutorial and discussion sessions (Location: Hilles 110)